Viber is a popular messaging app that can be used cross-platform with Android and iPhone. Its similar to WhatsApp. But there are times where you backup the messages and want to restore them when you buy a new phone. See below for directions.
Restore your messages
Once you have downloaded and reactivated Viber, you can restore your messages. You can only save the information from your latest backup. Any previous backups are deleted when you do a new one.Please note:You can only restore your messages to the same platform and the same phone number. For example, if you have an Android phone, you can only restore your messages to a new Android phone with the same phone number.Learn how to change your phone number and keep your message history.
Restore messages on Android
- Connect to your Google Drive Account
- Activate Viber
- Select Restore Viber Content
- Open the more screen
- Tap on Settings
- Choose Account
- Select Viber Backup
- Tap on Restore
- Select Restore Now
Please note:Restoring your messages takes time and data. Viber will always offer you the option to delay restoring your messages until you are on Wi-Fi. If you choose to delay, Viber will ask you to restore your data the next time you connect to Wi-Fi.
Restore messages on iPhone
- Connect to your iCloud account
- Activate Viber
- Viber will automatically offer to restore your previous backup. Select Restore now
- This may take a few minutes
Please note:Restoring your messages takes time and data. Viber will always offer you the option to delay restoring your messages until you are on Wi-Fi. If you choose to delay, Viber will prompt you to restore your data the next time you connect to W-Fi.
Types of data that is backed up and restored
Not all Viber messages can be backed up and restored. A backup will save your text messages and Public Accounts.
The following types of message can’t be saved in a backup:
- Hidden chats message history
- Messages sent in chats while Disappearing Messages are on
- Outgoing photos and videos (those you have sent to others)
- Media messages (save them in your media backup on your phone)
- File content sent to you through Viber
- Any unsent messages
- Group likes and settings
- Conversation settings
- Backed up history will not be restored to any other devices linked to your account (for example desktop or tablet)